From: eim [mailto:eim@eimbox.org]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 3:15 PM
To: Debian-Security List
Subject: mod_ssl pass phrase related question

mod_ssl pass phrase related question
====================================

Hallo Debian folks,

I've installed the Debian package "libapache-mod-ssl"
on my workstation box in order to learn how to setup
http secure transactions with my Apache webserver.

Once installed mod_ssl I've created a sample ssl
certification for my local workstation, https works
quite well and everything is ok, well nearly everything :)

When I restart the apache by hand or it comes up
through Debian's init.d script it requires that I provide
the daemon with the pass phrase because some of my private
key files are encripted.

How can I avoid this ? I mean let me assume I need to restart
my box from a remote connection, when the init.d script
is going to start apache I must be fisically there to provide
the daemon with my pass phrase, that's not always possible.

Should I keep my key files unencrypted, or is there another
solution which preserves security ?

Thanks for any help !
Have a nice time,

 - Ivo

--

 Ivo Marino                    eim@eimbox.org
 UN*X Developer, running Debian GNU/Linux
 irc.OpenProjects.net #debian
 http://eimbox.org/~eim     http://eimbox.org