SpamAssassin (Was Re: SOME ITEMS THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN OR BE ABLE TO ADVISE ME ON)

Sebastian Rittau wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 09:34:35AM +0100, Robert van der Meulen wrote:
> > Quoting James (james@james-web.net):
>
> > > We could start by blocking @aol.com =)
>
> > Or by all running good anti-spam measures and not replying to spam; I didn't
> > even know it was there until people started replying to it, and i had to
> > look up the original posting in my spam folder..
>
> That's unfortunately not the solution.
>
> srittau@jroger:~$ ls -l .mail/junk
> -rw-------    1 srittau  srittau   2766614 24. Jan 09:39 .mail/junk
> srittau@jroger:~$
>
> And that's only the SPAM mail from this year. I have to download this
> over ad 56kBit link and I pay by the minute.

My ISP uses SpamAssassin and it works quite nicely.  Not
perfectly, but well enough that I like it.  It's filtered
out about 8M bytes of spam in the past 16 days.  SpamAssassin
puts some new headers into the message that tell it's spam
status.

is the spam status header for the message I'm replying to.
This is the spam status headers from a spam message:

    *  2.0 -- Invalid Date: header (no timezone)
    *  2.0 -- Character set doesn't exist
    *  2.5 -- BODY: Claims you can be removed from the list
    *  0.1 -- BODY: Claims you can be removed from the list
    *  0.1 -- BODY: List removal information
    *  3.3 -- BODY: List removal information
    *  1.7 -- BODY: Says: "to be removed, reply via email" or similar
    *  3.0 -- Character set indicates a foreign language
    *  2.0 -- Date: is in the future or unparseable
    *  1.0 -- Received via a relay in blackholes.five-ten-sg.com
              [RBL check: found
4.84.114.211.blackholes.five-ten-sg.com.]
    *  1.0 -- Received via a relay in outputs.orbz.org
              [RBL check: found 101.156.42.208.outputs.orbz.org.]

I still end up download the spam, but I know it is possible
for an email program to filter on the headers before downloading
the body of the message.  It would be even nicer if Debian
filtered on it and rejected messages that it marks as spam.  It
wouldn't be perfect, but it would cut down on alot of them.

--
|  Bryan Andersen   |   bryan@visi.com   |   http://www.nerdvest.com   |
| Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |