Re: Re[2]: protection against buffer overflows

On Jan 23, linux-dude@anscheinend.net wrote:

> it indeed sounds VERY interesting (not only to me) :-)
> although I never dealt with special kernel modifications.
> But I'll give it a go..can anyone recommend any other
> kernel security patch sites? ..would be great!

the only thing you need to bear in mind is that all requests on non-open
ports will timeout.  Now this is exactly what you want, except for the ident
service.  Why you ask, everytime you send an e-mail an ident request is made
to your machine which normally fails saying connection refused or something.
With the stealth patch this will time out, every e-mail will take at least 30
seconds to send before it actually even leaves your machine.

This is solved by the 'nullident' server.  This is the only problem I had.

Alex

/ He is truly wise who gains wisdom from \
\ another's mishap.                      /
        \   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||