Re: [ot] how to create a user that can't log in?

No, it's not the right way.  The daemons need to run as the project
user, not the individual user.

I know how to set up groups, permissions, etc. ... been doing that for
several years now.

What I'm wondering is if PAM or some other mechanism can be used to
prevent a user from logging in via a network connection.  It looks
like people here don't know; that's fine, I'll continue researching.