Re: Set UID=0

On Jan 17, Pat Moffitt wrote:

> Some of the recent upgrades have the executables set UID=0 where they were
> not in the past.  This includes (but may not be limited to) the following:
>
> at
> smbmnt
> smbmount
> smbumount
>
> Do these really need to be set UID=0?  Is this a security concern?

I don't know about 'at' (I don't have it installed) however it seems useful
for me to have those smb* packages UID=0.  It allows the lusers to mount
remote samba shares without having to beg the sysadmin to do it for them or
add them to a sudoers file.  I would imagine that the people who throw
together the smbmount package know what they are doing and have considered
the security implications and decided that there are none.

Personnaly I would leave them UID=0 as I find it invalable, however you may
not want lusers to smbmount shares, if this is the case remove the package
(if you also don't use it) or remove the UID=0 feature.

Alex

/ You have all eternity to be cautious in \
| when you're dead.                       |
\ -- Lois Platford                        /
        \   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||