Re: Help with Firewall section in the Debian Security Manual

On Friday, 18. January 2002 05:29, Jor-el wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

> > Both should point to other sites regarding general info (what a firewall
> > is? what does netfilter do?) and not reproduce it (terrible waste of time
> > and difficult to maintain up to date).
>
> 	Is it really wise to talk about netfilter in a "Debian Security
> HOWTO"? After all, the stable distribution of Debian (which is what
> newbies will and should use), uses the 2.2 kernel which doesnt support
> netfilter.

Do you think newbies would start with build their own firewall scripts?
I don't. Having build a ipchains script, and having upgraded to iptables
lately I would say that iptables required a much more sane script.

I would like to have a bit more talk about firewall concepts and security
background information than an packet-filter script implementation in the
HOWTO. I think there are enough example script available on the net, and all
the information I needed to write my script was in "Building Internet
Firewalls, 2nd ed." from O'Reilly.

I would have volunteered to contribute to the HOWTO, but during the next
months my spare time is reduced to a minimum. I will return to the idea when
I'm having more time and I look forward reading Martins work and add my
thoughts to that.

Peter