Re: Help with Firewall section in the Debian Security Manual

also sprach Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> [2002.01.16.1522 +0100]:
> Can anyone volunteer?

i might...

> - a section host-oriented on how to setup firewall rules as a "last
> line of defense" (that's the one I have started writting) talking,
> basicly, on Debian-specific issues (tools available, which ones to
> use?).

what tools are there but iptables/ipchains/ipfwadm? frontends? then i am
not the right person. i don't believe in frontends...

> - a *chapter* (server-oriented) on how to setup a firewall using
> Debian GNU/Linux. Regarding: firewall setup, administration, logging,
> detection of alarms... One very useful section would setting up a
> proxy-level firewall (using software available in Debian).

mh. sounds better.

> Both should point to other sites regarding general info (what a
> firewall is? what does netfilter do?) and not reproduce it (terrible
> waste of time and difficult to maintain up to date).

got ya. i'll think about it. deadlines?

si l'on sait exactement ca que l'on va faire,
a quoi bon le faire?
                                                      -- pablo picasso