Re: A 2.4.[57] kernel crypto problem

On Jan 06, Pavel Minev Penev wrote:

> 	1. Generate billions of passwords.
> 	For each of them:
> 		1. Setup a loop device.
> 		2. Read the block after the 1024-th byte and check it
> 		for Ext2/Ext3's magic ID.
> 		If the ID matches:
> 			1. Print the password.
> 		3. Deconfigure the loop device.
> The brute-forcer works fine for short periods of time.
>
> I've tried this on kernels 2.4.15 and 2.4.17, it's all the same
> (although the 2.4.17 Changelog says about a number of bug-fixes in the
> loop-back driver).
>
> I was wondering if you could tell me about any known or unknown problems
> with the kernel crypto, or help me realise my stupidity.

there are only 8 loop devices....do you know this?

Another thing (which has already been mentioned) is that you may be not
closing the tasks properly, and then loop gets very upset as it hasn't been
shutdown properly....or something :)  You may of found a race condition....

Alex

--
/ Do what you can to prolong your life, \