From: "Howland, Curtis" <howlandc@kvh.co.jp>
To: "Ralf Dreibrodt" <ralf@dreibrodt.de>; "Gary MacDougall"
<gary@freeportweb.com>
Cc: <debian-security@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2001 7:03 PM
Subject: RE: Secure 2.4.x kernel

A major point concerning "laws" is that they prevent nothing. Laws against
murder have been around since the idea of "laws" was invented, yet murder
still happens. Sometimes in new and spectacular ways.

Individual security, be it physical or logical, must be considered an
individual responsibility. Each server, each PC, each system must have its
own security addressed not in a standard "legislated" pattern, but with the
unique attributes of that specific system in mind.

At the very least, turning off all "services" that are not specifically and
deliberately turned on is the first step.

Curt-