Re: Secure 2.4.x kernel - kernel patches

hi ya

for a simple 5 minute kernel patch...
http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Harden/kernel.gwif.html
	- apply openwall if you are using 2.2.x kernels
	- ruh libsafe if you wanna try a prevent some buffer overflows
	- if you wanna get into all the fun stuff... lots of other
	  patches to evaluate for oyur networks

remember that most security exploits is mostly internal or self created
	- if they have physical access to the machine ...  all security
	  rests in "do you trust them" to not steal data or take your
	  server offline ..and having to work with them daily makes it
	  a big challenge

	- turn off telnet, pop3, ftp, etc... ( self created holes )
	( i dont like clear text passwds )

	- another sanity check is give your proported security auditor
	the passwd for the users... and see if they can become root
		- had a manager that said give um(or cracker) root access
		to the server and he expected no data loss upon restore
		from backups and an hour downtime to recover was
		acceptable...

attacks from outside your network is probably easier to defend against
than to "nervously watch your less experienced winNT types mucking with
your companies web/email/db  server ... nothing oyu can do when
they( ceo/managers) wanna read their emails from home or out of the office
	- just gotta make them use a more secure email methodology

-- i'd worry about local/obvious holes in security before i'd worry
   about buffer overflows ...

-- a good/knowledgeable cracker will get in... no matter what you did...
	- if you're a bank... you have to be one step ahead of them ...

c ya
alvin