Re: shutdown user and accountability

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 10:58:47AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Blake Barnett <blake.barnett@developonline.com> writes:
>
> > Can't you give a group sudo access?  If so, just add everyone to a group
> > and give that group sudo /sbin/halt or sudo /sbin/shutdown or both.
>
> That's exactly what my sudo setup does right now.  The problem is that
> apparently *everyone* needs to be able to shut down the machine (for
> reasons that are beyond me).  Added accounts on an as needed basis is
> fine with me, but I don't fancy creating, oh, 250+ password protected
> accounts just to meet policy.

    Put a small APC on the machine that talks to the serial port. Run
    the APC shutdown daemon, then to shut the machine down, pull the
    plug from the wall--or have it hooked to a power strip and trip the
    switch on the power strip.

    APC loses power, triggers daemon, daemon shuts machine down.

    Note: this also works if there is a power-outage during a time when
    no one is in the office.

    This doesn't give accountability, but you put a big axe near the
    machine...

--
Share and Enjoy.