Re: Mail-server config

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 09:56:28AM -0800, Sami Juvonen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 10:51:57AM -0500, Justin R. Miller wrote:
> > Thus spake Johannes Weiss (weissi@tux4u.de):
> >
> > > I plan to install a mailserver for ca. 800 users, now I planned to
> >
> > Have a look at Cyrus IMAP.  It's designed for POP3/IMAP for non-shell
> > users, i.e. a closed-box system.  the authentication _can_ be
> > /etc/passwd-based, but typically you use a separate DB file to store the
> > login info.
>
> Also note that the Debian packages for Cyrus are old, from a
> branch that is not being developed any more. I think your
> best bet is to download the source and compile your own. That's
> what I'm doing for a family-and-friends mailserver. I might
> come up with a .deb for my own use, but don't hold your breath...
>
> There is a wishlist bug for 2.x.
>
> This is getting off topic.
>

> -sami.

I think that the easiest thing (not necesarily the best one) will be
to write simple bash&awk script to add users directly to passwd.
The shell should be /bin/false - message that you can't get in (without
invoking any real shells).

Advantages: easy to perform, easy to manage
Disadvantages: possible mess in passwd if you have pop3-only and normal users.

Jaroslaw Postawa
dorvin@o.k.pl