Re: buffer overflow in /bin/gzip?

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Guillaume Morin wrote:

>Dans un message du 20 nov à 23:33, Anders Gjære écrivait :
>>
>> in gzip.c
>>
>> the line:
>> 	strcpy(nbuf,dir);
>>
>> should maybe be replaced with:
>> 	strncpy(nbuf, dir,sizeof(nbuf));
>
>gzip runs with user privileges, therefore this is not a security
>problem.

gzip is in vuln-dev for a buffer overflow in the argv handler.  Debian is
apparently invulnerable, but it's a good thing to do everything we can to
figure out more bugs in the flavor-of-the-month exploit target before the
black hats do.

--
I can be immature if I want to, because I'm mature enough to make my own
decisions.

Who is John Galt?  galt@inconnu.isu.edu