Kernel 2.4 SOS

Goodday ladies and fellas

I have potato installed on a box that will be a proxy and firewall. I needed
to have the facility of port forwarding so i was told to install kernel 2.4.

I have the source downloaded and am busy going though the documentation but
some
of the packages that the documentation makes reference to is to low a
version.

I have pointed apt to sid but it wants to pull packages down from woody.

Now what i need to know, is woody stable enough for a proxy/firewall machine
?

Thanks
Craig