Re: Secure 2.4.x kernel

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 03:25:04PM -0500, Gary MacDougall wrote:
> Hmmm I don't buy that this *couldn't* be done on the Intel.
> I might be overstepping my knowledge, but I'm sure there
> *must* be a way.

The first method that comes to mind is making the stack segment
non-executable.  IIRC, this is not supported by the x86.  It's a real shame,
because that would immediately stop about 99.9% of all buffer overrun
exploits.

--
Absurdity, n.: A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own
opinion.