Re: Fwd: Linux distributions and /bin/login overflow

hi
it seems that potato is vulnerable...
at the console, i entered root at the login: prompt and some bullshit
as the password. everything seemed fine, i got a login incorrect message
and another login: prompt. now i pressed CTRL-D, and voila:

Dec 20 11:16:27 upcrouter kernel: Security: signal 11 (read or execute
addr 0x00000000) sent to login[8421], UID 0, EUID 0, parent init[1], UID
0, EUID 0, by login[8421], UID 0, EUID 0, parent init[1], UID 0, EUID 0

it seems that openwall caught the attack. if i pressed CTRL-D at the
first prompt, i just got a login incorrect message.

i made another check by logging in and starting login as root from the
command prompt and simply pressing CTRL-D at the login: prompt:

upcrouter:~# login
upcrouter login:
Segmentation fault
upcrouter:~#

these checks were made on potato r3 with recent updates, running kernel
2.2.20 with openwall, hap-2 and stealth patches.

i checked this on an unpatched woody box as well and i didn't succeed.

comments?