Re: Re: How do I disable (close) ports?

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 02:04:32PM +0100, J. Paul Bruns-Bielkowicz wrote:
> > You're not going to become a good Linux-administrator before you realize
> > that you should UNDERSTAND what you do instead of just guessing and be
> > happy because it worked.
>
> Becoming a good administrator is making it work and keeping it working. It
> seems there is an official way of closing the ports and an unofficial
> (wrong?) way of doing it. Understanding is gained, among others through
> experience, and this is quite an experience judging by quantity of replies

Yes, you are right, sorry about my rather harsh reply. Just that I've been
in the game some time, seeing too many people who refuse to learn, who
wants a simple way spoonfead to them, and refusing to even look at
documentation even when pointed at specific documents. Sometimes, you
jump to the wrong conclusions too early.

But listen to what has been said, restore the original /etc/services file,
and disable it the correct way instead. As has been pointed out, none of
the things you have done are guaranteed to work after your next package
update of Debian.
--
- Vegard Engen, member of the first RFC1149 implementation team.