Where should I start from ?

I have to find a library that will make me able to use public-key and symmetric-key crypto functions like RSA or ElGamal algorithm and IDEA or AES ( formerly known as Rijndael ). And also I have to have a MAC function like SHA but prefer any collision resistant keyed hash function if it is easily implementable. Have to code the application in C ( I would prefer visual basic since it is sometimes hard to tell a professor that this code does it in C especially if you are in Turkey ) or C++ and of course on GNU Debian Linux. Did anybody in the list have any kind of experience about such a case ? I would appreciate your ideas and recommendations about my problem. ( Did I say I hate school ? :) )

PS : I really know how all those algorithms work but in RSA case it is a pain in the butt to generate two provable primes of 1024 bits in size and ElGamal is not far different either. In DES or IDEA case all these S-boxes and permutations are a headache since the easiest method of coding all these is assembler. That is why I want them ready like IDEA.h :). Oh I forgot to say that the library functions need not support CFB or ECB modes.