Re: is 3des secure??

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 10:28:56AM +0100, Johannes Weiss wrote:

> UNfortunately, WIN-SSH is very buggy, it only works if I take the 3des
> algorithm, if I take one of the others (blowfish,...) it crashed.

What is unfortunate about that?  From my experience, 3DES is used more
commonly than any other crypto algorithm for things like SSH and IPSEC.
I know that some people feel that Blowfish, Twofish, and friends are too
new to be thoroughly tested.

DES (and thus 3DES) has withstood 30 years of cryptanalysis.  The only
weakness found in DES, a weakness known from the very beginning, is that
the short keylength makes it vulnerable to a brute force attack, which
is why 3DES was creates.  3DES is basically DES cubed, and effectively
uses a 168 bit key, which is quite secure by modern standards.

noah