Re: Mutt & tmp files

On Don, 15 Nov 2001, Moritz Schulte wrote:

> Florian Bantner <f.bantner@axon-e.de> writes:
>
> > Second and more important: When a file is created on disk it
> > occupies physikal space on the disk. When its deleted again, the
> > space is in no way 'cleaned', but stays on the disk until it is
> > accidentaly overwritten.
>
> With 'cleaned' you mean that the file doesn't get overwritten
> automatically, right? (Hmm, you could hack Mutt so that it overwrites
> files first, with shred for example...)
>
> > Everyone with access to the disk can therefore (in the worst case)
> > read any mail which was ever written by any user of that system -
> > either he/she encrypted it or not.
>
> Hmm, have you considered ramdisks?

That's the idea I was looking for. Heard also today of the
possibility to encrypt whole filessystems. In the moment I'm
thinking about that. A combination was nice. When I'm right this
would make it even for root hard to do something. Not impossible but
hard. That's really not bad at all.

> "In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like
> the Hurd people." - Linus Torvalds.

I like this one :)

AXON-E Interaktive Medien
Arnulfsplatz 6