Mutt & tmp files

Hi,

I am recently busy with email-security. I'm using Mutt and GnuPG
which works greate for me. But one point did attract my attention:

When writing a new mail which I intend to encrypt via gpg, mutt
creates a tmp file (normaly unter /tmp/.mutt*) which it uses to
'comunicate' with Vim. This file lasts as long the vim-session is
running. Vim then saves the changes to the file and gives execution
back to Mutt.

What I don't like is: First the tmp file is readable by root. I do
know that there are other ways for root so that he can access the
mail-content, but simply reading files seems a little bit to easy.
Second and more important: When a file is created on disk it
occupies physikal space on the disk. When its deleted again, the
space is in no way 'cleaned', but stays on the disk until it is
accidentaly overwritten. Even than you can recreate it. Everyone
with access to the disk can therefore (in the worst case) read
any mail which was ever written by any user of that system - either
he/she encrypted it or not.

It's not hard to imagine situations where this is bad. But what
to do against?

Thanks,

Florian Bantner

AXON-E Interaktive Medien