RE: [off-topic?] Chrooting ssh/telnet users?

There is a chroot patch for the potato openssh-1.2.3 source in /contrib
however it appears to be broken.

I have created a modified diff for the Debian package source which will
apply the patch correctly and build an ssh_1.2.3chroot1-9.3 package.

Email me if you would like the diff.

As has been well covered in this thread you will need to create a chroot
jail which has all the executables your chroot user requires as well as the
libraries the executables rely on.  There are many ways to acheive this.
For a very small chrooted environment (i.e. bash, cp, scp, ls, mv etc.) I
generally create this manually by copying the executables into the new
structure then running ldd on them to identify the libraries.

For a larger chroot environment you may want to look at dbootstrap.

You will have to manually maintain your chroot (upgrading
executables/security updates) unless you install APT into the chroot.  I
generally don't.

Regards,
--
Andrew J. Stephen                               Phone  +64 4 496 4484
Team Leader, Network Operations                 Mobile +64 25 582 304

        "The important thing about standards is to have them."
         -- Bruce Schneier, creator of the Twofish algorithm