Re: Port Scan for UDP

Excuse your arrogance, but let me correct you in some points you made!

First of all nmap does not scan only the services listed in /etc/services, if
you were to have bothered reading the manual before answering you would have
read, and I quote:
"The default  is  to  scan  all ports  between  1  and  1024  as  well as any
ports listed in the services file which comes with  nmap." NOTE! Comes with
nmap! usually located in /usr/local/share/nmap/nmap-services.

You could have spared the TCP/UDP diff lecture since the question wasn't
directed to that... Although you were correct about UDP and it's difficulty
when it comes to remote scanning.

jc: If you own the box and *don't* have any reason to assume/think you've
been compromised (Just checking) you can check locally using nice tools like:
netstat -an --ip <for both udp and tcp> or netstat -an --udp[--tcp] for
either one.
lsof -i -n
nmap localhost -p 1-[HigherPortNumber]
fuser
and the list goes on =)

-xbud
xbud@g0thead.com
"I only drink to make other people interesting"