Strange files in / - possible security problem?

Just a moment ago I noticed a bunch of zero-length files in my /
directory, all named 'errs' followed by 6 random characters:

<snip>
-rw-------    1 root     root            0 Sep 30 23:56 errscbOUuI
-rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct  8 08:42 errsdYw1fg
-rw-------    1 root     root            0 Sep 30 23:58 errsgsOTuQ
-rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct  9 19:56 errsn4ccOv
-rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct  6 14:07 errsnLQCZb
-rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct  1 12:21 errsqHhZYS
</snip>

There are quite a few of them, 29 at present - they are dated from
Sept 30 to today.  I've got no idea what may have created these files,
and I'm wondering if this is a sign of a possible security compromise.
I consider it somewhat unlikely, given that this is a single-user box
and I'm behind a NAT with people who are mostly non-hax0r/geeks.  Still,
I'm paranoid and I wonder if anyone has a suggestion as to where these
files may have come from.

Thanks,

--
/--