Re: firewall

On 10 Sep 2001, Tim Haynes wrote:

> Adam Olsen <rhamph@d2dc.net> writes:
>
> > > It should be sufficient to do
> > >         update-rc.d -f portmap remove
> > >         update-rc.d -f lpd remove
> > >         update-rc.d -f bind remove
> >
> > As an aside, I did this with proftpd, but when I upgrade the install
> > scripts restart it. Is there a proper way way to deal with this? Is there
> > some debian policy relating to it?
>
> No real answer from me, but I've noticed this too - whenever I `apt-get
> dist-upgrade' and get a new version of a package, it starts the services
> required. Don't like it. I really want to be able to specify otherwise.

I usually edit the script itself in /etc/init.d and add an "exit 0" line
on top of it. Then when you upgrade the package dpkg will ask you whether
you want to replace the old script (which you edited) with the new one,
and stop waiting for an answer, instead of silently going on and
restarting the service. This way you will still have to edit the new init
script (or to check whether you can keep the old one, or to otherwise pay
attention to the thing), but the service will not be restarted unnoticed,
perhaps in the middle of a bunch of other upgraded packages.

just my .02 euros...
bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, giacomo.mulas@tin.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 216     Fax : +39 070 71180 222

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)