Re: HARASS ME MORE.........

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 06:28:07PM +0200, Benny Kleykens wrote:
> lacking this skill. Obviously few of you would give a rats-ass but Im
> truly considering unsubscribing from this list, this is the second
> lenghty flame-war in less than a month... maybe a moderator is needed to
> keep this mailing-list pleasent and truly informative ?

I think this might suggest a more moderate (and less moderated) way out of
the woods.  I wrote it at a time when another mailing list was having one of
those flurries of "unsubscribe sent to list address" things, but it's really
a general guideline for dealing with any untopical message:

 1) DO NOT RESPOND TO THESE ON-LIST.

 2) An informative e-mail, probably a canned response, should be sent
    privately.  Ideally we could have a perfect filter that does this
    and sends exactly one such response, but duplicates aren't a problem
    as long as you SEE RULE #1.

 3) Please apply RULE #1 when replying to those who did not themselves
    follow RULE #1.

 4) Don't forget RULE #1, please!

Of course, this requires a general interest in maintaining the list as a
friendly and useful place for information exchange.  IMO&E, if we haven't
got that, then nothing will save us; if we do, then the overhead of
moderation is purely wasted effort.

--
Although we may never know with complete certainty the identity
of the winner of this year's presidential election, the identity