Re: UP2DATE

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:36:14AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> "=?x-user-defined?Q?--=3D=5B_..::_V=EDr=F9=A7_::.._=5D=3D--?=" <email.virus@softhome.net> writes:
>
> Hmm, can't say I'm overly fond of your email address, but ...
>
> > I saw many Debian users get their system up2date using
> > apt-get. But their versions of the applications are _the_
> > latest one, when I look at my system I seem to have, up2date, but
> > older versions.

 You have older, known-good stable versions.  For certain packages
that you use regularly, it can make sense to install the newest
version.  Do this by downloading the source package from testing or
unstable, and compiling+installing it.  (This way, only the packages
you actually want the new features of are upgraded.)

> Those folks are running unstable/testing.  If you don't know how to
> get that in your sources.list, it's probably not for you.

 agreed.

> > Could anyone tell me what I can change to get the latest verions ?
>
> For a purist setup:
>
>   deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main
>   deb http://<your debian mirror here>/debian stable main
>   deb http://<your debian-non-US mirror here>/debian-non-US stable non-US/main

 I'd write that as
deb http://mirror/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
 (contrib and non-free appended to illustrate the fact that you only
need to write the non-US once, with "stable", instead of 3 times, with
main, contrib, non-free)

 That probably took more time to type than I'll ever save by doing it
my way, but whatever...

--
#define X(x,y) x##y