File transfer using ssh

I've just made the change from a windows to Debian user machine, I've been
running a Debian server for years.

One of the features of the windows software that I liked was zmodem file
transfer over the ssh link. Since changing over to ssh (1.2.3-9.3) from
stable for both server and now client, it does not seem to be able to
receive or send files through the link.

Is there a file transfer method for utilizing ssh? I'm sure ftp could be
tunneled, but for security reasons ftp is turned off. Until now, with
zmodem, I didn't need it.

Thank you for any suggestions,

Curt-