Re: Unidentified subject!

Hello,

First, you should (keep cool and ... ;o) ) know which dns server you are
running. Look in the processes (ps -ax) if there is something like bind or
djbdns, or anything that could be a dns server. The lsof command can help
(look at what listens to port 53), as the dpkg and apt-get commands (see man
dpkg and man apt-get : dpkg -s bind gives you the status of the bind package
- apt-get remove bind removes the bind package and apt-get install bind
installs it).

When you know which dns you are running, type in man (server-name), like man
bind. Also see /usr/share/doc/bind and /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt (there is
a file called DNS-HOWTO.txt.gz (zless
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/DNS-HOWTO.txt.gz)

When you have read all those files, you should find a directory called
/etc/bind - there you find named.conf, the general configuration file, and
db.<zone> - containing your databases. Make man named.conf - and dont forget
: a missing dot can make your dns not working properly ;)

But bind is NOT the easiest one to configure. And it's NOT the most robust.
Have a look at djbdns homepage (http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html).

But you should also be sure your domain names are registred (if your ip's are
public and you want them to be accessed from outside, at least) - therefore,
you have a procedure with the place you bought your domain names to say them
that your dns (you have to give them your fixed ip adress) is authoritative
for your zone - this means that when a dns request is done to any dns and
your ip-FQDN is not cached there, the queried root dns will say that the
client should ask your dns for the requested info. That's the first thing to
do if you want your names to be resolved from outside.

DNS is NOT an easy administration to do. Maybe you should read
http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/Course/index.htm - there is an excellent DNS
section.

Have fun, and have a look at http://lab.dexter.be - the most important is
reading.

Dexter

--
A command-line is the difference between a toy and a computer.
Francis 'Dexter' Gois - fg@tiscali.be