Re: syslog-ng issue

Jeff Coppock, 2001-Aug-05 09:04 -0700:
>    I'm trying to cleanup my logging using syslog-ng (version
>    1.5.6-1).  The problem at this point is that my firewall
>    (iptables) logs are showing up in my newly setup firewall log
>    file, and still in the messages kern.log and syslog files.
>
>    I used the default syslog-ng.conf file and added the following
>    lines to the appropriate sections:
>
>    destination firewall { file("/var/log/firewall" owner("root")
>    group("adm") perm\(0640)); };
>
>    filter f_firewall { match("Dropped: .*IN=.*OUT=.*"); };
>
>    log { source(src); filter(f_firewall); destination(firewall); };
>
>    My desire is to have all firewall logs go ONLY to the firewall
>    log file.
>
>    Does the order in which these entries occur matter?  I just
>    noticed that the destination entry was at the end of that
>    section while the filter and log entries are at the beginning.
>    I moved the destination entry to the beginning of that
>    section and will watch the logs.
>
>    thanks for any help...jc

   Well, I figured it out.  More time and reading always seems to
   make a difference.  Basically, I added another filter to "not"
   match the firewall messages and used that filter with the
   messages, kern.log and syslog log entries and it works great.

   jc

--

Jeff Coppock		Nortel Networks
Systems Engineer	http://nortelnetworks.com