Re: snort rules (Was: Attack alert from snort)

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Martin Domig wrote:

> As I am using snort I keep getting many warnings in my logfiles which I
> don't know what they mean. For example the following entry:
>
> Jul 11 01:17:46 keeper snort[6079]: IDS266 - CAN-1999-0261 - SMTP Chameleon
> Overflow: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:44772 -> yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:25
>
> This tells me that someone is doing funny stuff to my mailserver (I keep
> getting those all the time), but I don't know what is causing this entry
> and how "dangerous" this "attack" is. Is there any resource where I can
> search for snort warnings (those IDSxxx codes) and look up more information
> about a single snort rule?

http://www.whitehats.com/IDS/266

All Chameleon alerts I've seen where false positives. Basically any ip
packet directed to TCP port 25 longer than 500 bytes and having the word
help in the first 5 bytes triggers the rule. I don't think it's possible
to tell snort the difference between a false alert and a real intrusion.

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan