Compiling HostSentry

Hey, I've compiled and installed HostSentry on my Patato box. I
installed it under the /etc/hostsentry directory. I was editing the
configuration file and got stumped over a setting.

HostSentry needs to know the format of wtmp.

Here's a snip from the conf file:

# The basic things needed are:
#
# a) Size of utmp record (sizeof(struct utmp)) for your host.
# b) Offset to tty field from beginning of record.
# c) Length of tty field.
# d) Offset to username field from beginning of record.
# e) Length of username field.
# f) Offset to hostname field from beginning of record.
# g) Length of hostname field.
#
# The format is formed like this:
#
#
utmpRecordLength/ttyOffset:ttyLen/usernameOffset:usernameLen/hostnameOffset:hostnameLen

#
# For example on RedHat:
#
# utmp record size is: 384 bytes
# tty entry offset is: 8 bytes
# tty entry size from offset is: 32 bytes
# username entry offet is: 44 bytes
# username entry size from offset is: 32 bytes
# hostname entry offset is: 76 bytes
# hostname entry size from offset: 256 bytes
#
# This would be formed as "384/8:32/44:32/76:256"
#
# NOTE: All of this garbage will hopefully go away on a future update
when
# I wrap native getutent() functions for Python.
#
# RedHat
WTMP_FORMAT = "384/8:32/44:32/76:256"
# Slackware
#WTMP_FORMAT = "56/8:12/28:8/36:16"
# BSD variants
#WTMP_FORMAT = "36/0:8/8:8/16:16"

Where can I find this information? I've compiled this program before on
Mandrake. The configuration was easy since I only had to follow the
RedHat settings.

I would like to get this program up and running. I want to learn how it
works and then attemp to compile it into a deb package for unstable.

I have this idea that if we can get logcheck, portsentry and hostsentry
all compiled into deb packes that we could create an apt- script that
would install the Abacus project all in one shot. It would very usefull
for Debian sysadmins, and all apps could be launched via the same rc
script.

I would like to hear some of your awnsers and opinions please :-D

Stef