Re: rlinetd security

sami@juvonen.org (Sami J. Juvonen) writes:

> What I would really like Debian to do when installing services is to *not*
> start them by default. Just install all the files, but make init scripts
> not run unless edited.

Is something like the IRIX or redhat (gasp) `chkconfig` system worth
considering?

For those that haven't seen it, IRIX uses a program called
``chkconfig'' to control things started from /etc/init.d scripts.
Essentially chkconfig is a fairly simple program that does one of
three things depending on how it's called:

 1) `chkconfig` prints ``state'' (on or off) of every configuration
    flag found in /var/config (the flags are just the string ``on''
    or ``off'' stored in individual txt files in that directory).

 2) `chkconfig [-f] <flag>` sets the flag to the desired state
    (the -f option will create the flag if it doesn't exist)

 3) `chkconfig <flag>` will check the status of the flag -- chkconfig
    will exit with status 0 if it is on, 1 if it is off or
    nonexistent.

How this works in practice:

Scripts in /etc/init.d all have a structure something like:

  case "$1" in
    'start')
      if /etc/chkconfig myservice; then
        ...start myservice

So, in this example if if the /var/config/myservice file doesn't
contain ``on'' (or doesn't exist) the commands to start it won't be
run.

As a whole the system works fairly well (and is easier for newbie
admins than the Red Hat chkconfig implementation or symlink
creation/deletion).  It's fairly simple to turn things on/off, and
there are few surprises during updates.

--

/*  Dale Southard Jr.       southard1@llnl.gov        925-422-1463  */
/*  Computer Scientist, Accelerated Strategic Computing Initiative  */