Re: rlinetd security

"Pat Moffitt" <pmoffitt@wrv.com> writes:

> That makes a lot of assumptions about my (or anyone else) understanding
> of the system. For example, I have no clue what discard is used for. So,
> how do I know if I have a package installed that will not work properly
> if I disable that port. Yes, I should go and research the issue but I
> only have some much time in the day.
>
> Therefor, many of us are forced to make the same assumptions (valid or
> not) such as Sebastiaan's.

Ethan is correct.

Start from `the more ports you leave open, the greater chance you have of
being cracked' and work up.

ISTR the standard inetd services including discard, echo, sysstat, netstat
et all *have* *had* their known vulnerabilities before now. All long-since
patched, but that's not to say there won't be another tomorrow.

Again, if you don't know why you need it, you don't need it.

~Tim
--
   17:16:07 up 3 days, 21:20, 16 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.09, 0.02
piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk |Sometimes you're the pigeon,