Re: Got root?

Forgive my off & on following of this thread; this may have been mentioned.

Wasn't there a kernel patch at one point detailed in Phrack or some such that bound the opening of certain priviledged ports to membership in certain groups? That is, if you belonged to group id 20 (say), you could open port 80 (say). This allowed otherwise SUID 0 programs to be run as non-priv users. I want to say that Solar Designer came up with it, but I can't seem to find the reference to it (in a cursory search). Seemed reasonable at the time, although certainly not as elegant as full privs (which didn't exist back then). Anyone remeber that? Ken Seefried, CISSP