Re: Logging practices (and why does it suck in Debian?)

 Doesn't win2k do what you suggest, and have a the dlls for each app in a
directory for that app?

Not really. Some are others are in winsys others are in program files/shared etc. Since W2K also absolutely trusts Microsoft and Microsoft installs and upgrades are notorious for breaking things it's kind of a useless implementation. Sure I can't write an app which will overwrite an important DLL but the ADO people at MS can and when you upgrade IE or ADO then it can ruin your week. The system ought to only trust me!

 Also, if there's a bug in shared library code, you have to upgrade every
application statically linked against it instead of just upgrading the
shared library.  Same deal for optimizations, like a 3dnow or altivec libjpeg
or something.

Everything you say is 100% absolutely true. But it also has a price. For me the price can be summed up like this. When there is a new version of postgres out I want to be able to type apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and have it installed. Right now I can't do that because debian has frozen on a well known and tested configuration which does not include postgres 7.1 In fact for all debian knows installing postgres 7.1 may break other apps or cause library problems. In the end I guess it's a tradeoff but I can't help but wonder if there is some third alternative. One that would let me keep the stable debian OS I have and let's me install using apt the newest postgresql/php/apache that I have come to rely on. Right now I have to manually compile the three most important parts of my system which makes apt less useful.

:wq
Tim Uckun
Due Diligence Inc. http://www.diligence.com/ Americas Background Investigation Expert. If your company isn't doing background checks, maybe you haven't considered the risks of a bad hire.