Re: Ports to block?

I work from a default-deny stance. Usual things to then allow in would be 25 (smtp), 80 (http), 22 (ssh, although be careful here), 53-UDP (DNS, if you have bind running), and various ICMP (echo-reply/request, source-quench, destination-unreachable, time-exceeded, and parameter-problem are good ones).

I deny and log pretty much everything else, although I do have special DENY rules for stuff like NetBIOS (137/138) so they don't hit the trap line at the end which logs everything not caught above, filling up my logs.

I believe the 1028-UDP port you're talking about is the syslogd talking to itself (you'll notice it's on the loopback address [127.0.0.1] and established to Port 514, which is the syslog port). If you've got an external address talking to your syslog port.. well... good luck.