Re: Promiscuous mode (was Re: ifconfig doesn't report Promiscuous interfaces)

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:27:23PM -0600, JonesMB wrote:

> >Hi, Are you sure that this machine wasn't compromised ???
>
> this line made me wonder about what the correct output of ifconfig should
> be.  I assume that if I am not listening on the port, the PROMISC entry
> should not be reported in ifconfig.  I should only see PROMISC if I am
> running tcpdump, ethereal or some other program that listens on the
> ethernet port.

There's no reason for an interface to be in PROMISC mode by default.  Responsible
sniffers should do the equivalent of `ifconfig ethX -promisc` upon being
shut down/killed.  Unfortunately, I've dealt w/ programs (ntop comes to mind)
that neglected to do this.

> On eth0, I see PROMISC all the time.  On eth1 & eth2, I only see it when I
> am running tcpdump.  I have ipchains denying all traffic on the link that
> is directly connected to the net.  This is run before the interfaces are
> configured.  Despite ipchains, all services (telnet, ftp, apache etc) are
> turned off coz I don't use them.  I run apt-get update/upgrade daily to
> keep up with security updates from security.debian.org.  The kernel is 2.2.17

eth[12] sound correct..

> Is there any reason for eth0 to be showing PROMISC all the time or is this
> a sign that the system has some how been compromised and someone/something
> is capturing all internet traffic?  Everything looks fine on the
> system.  Hopefully I am being unnecessarily paranoid.

Check your init scripts; there may be something in there that turns PROMISC on,
that you (or a script) may have put in there by accident.  The fact that you
can actually see that eth0 is  in PROMISC mode implies that the possible
intruder didn't bother covering his/her tracks; thus, finding other details
of a break-in wouldn't be too hard.