Re: ifconfig doesn't report Promiscuous interfaces

    Andres>  On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 09:04:47PM -0500, S.Salman Ahmed
    Andres> wrote:
    Andres>  Of course, if your firewall was compromised, it wouldn't be
    Andres> suprising if both machines were compromised..
    Andres>
    Andres> Unfortunately, I haven't had the change to play w/ knark
    Andres> yet, but I assume recompiling a kernel w/ modules support
    Andres> disabled would allow you to detect if the root kit is
    Andres> installed..

Andres,

I recompiled 2.4.2 and this time I disabled all support for modules
(CONFIG_MODULES was not set). I booted this 2.4.2 kernel, and I still
get the same behaviour. When running either tcpdump or snort, ifconfig
still doesn't report the interface as being Promiscuous.

I found a program called knarkfinder.c that's supposed to check for the
knark rootkit, but the one I found doesn't compile with 2.4.2.

Any other ways I can try and detect this rootkit on my systems ?

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com