Re: sources.list

"Matthew H. Ray" wrote:

> Duane Powers wrote:
> >
> > I have a question - I have a dozen boxen that I am maintaining, all with
> > Debian ( almost all potato - one woody) I would like to save bandwidth
> > and centralize administration by utilizing one of the boxes as a apt-get
> > source. then I can apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade ; done, on one
> > box, and save all the .deb's then use those .deb's for the other boxen
> > without actually mirroring the whole debian site.
> >
> > I know it's configurable - I don't know how.
> > I read the man for sources.list, but I don't know how to set up the
> > webserver to understand the following;
>
> I have a very similiar setup at work.  There's a debian package called
> mirror (apt-get install mirror) that comes with examples that can be
> used to mirror a Debian mirror (tweak to exclude what you don't need (in
> my case everything but i386).  Install it on a box that has a couple of
> gigs of HD space for setting up your private mirror.  Then setup
> anonymous FTP on the mirror box.  Once you have your server mirroring
> properly, you simply insert the lines into your sources.list of each of
> your boxen.  Here's mine.

If the installed packages the machines are close enough, you can save
HD space using apt-move (woody v4 is far more better than potato v3 and
works well when compiled on potato), and setup a local mirror for the
installed packages of the reference machine.

You can then have apache or another HTTP server (or an FTP server)
distribute this packages to the other machines.

Hope that helps !

--
Christophe "CHiPs" PETIT <chips@chips.fr.eu.org>   http://chips.free.fr/
Linux-Nantes: Partagez Votre Savoir   http://www.linux-nantes.fr.eu.org/