Disabling Accounts

I have a question about /etc/passwd...

I typically go thru and put a * in all accounts except for 'root' and change
the shell to '/bin/false' when I first setup a box, to make sure the account
cannot be logged into. Is there a specific reason why this is not done? Are
there any implications I just haven't noticed about doing this? Am I just
retarded and missing something obvious? It doesn't seem to break anything
when I do that, but thought I'd ask for someone else's input/opinion.

TIA,

Steven Beverly

"Failure is not an option, it comes pre-installed with your Windoze
software..." -Unknown

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not
become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes
into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Time is dead...I stabbed him in the eye with a fork." -Poxin