security handling in Debian

Dear Alex,

You and your opponent have made the right point:

it currently takes big amounts of knowledge and work to reasonably secure a
system.

Everyone agrees that the Debian package system is great. It saves sysadmins
much time.

Why not do something comparable for security configuration?

We tested OpenBSD. It has advantages (secure by default, up to date
manpages) and disadvantages (e. g. fewer and less comfortable configuration
tools). We used SuSE for 2 years and have recently opted for Debian. Why?

overall system administration time and expenses compared to system quality
(including security) and usability -- we optimize, not maximize

The paradigm shift I suggest is:

"secure by default" which means if someone wants more user ease and
convenience and wishes to trade in some security for it, he should be able
to choose to do so. But one should start with secure.

Motto: this and that

(not this or that)

Greetings,

Lucien

--
This message may contain confidential data intended only for the rightful
addressee. Should you receive it by error, please delete it at once and