Security patches being reverted, and the BTS

The recent mgetty upload security fix, and an NMU upload (of mgetty) to
unstable yesterday reminded me of a serious issue we still have to address.

Sometimes, security patches made by the security team (and made available
through security.debian.org) are reverted on mistake by maintainers on the
next upload to unstable. This was not the case with mgetty, but it has
happened in the past.

Such patch reversions are difficult to notice right now, and are very
dangerous. However, if the security team where to *always* fill a bug
against any and all packages it fixes and uploads to security.debian.org,
they would be trackable.

I suggest such bugs to be of severity 'serious' or worse, and to include the
security patch itself if possible. The idea is that the bug must be very
noticeable and it also should be closed ASAP in the unstable branch, using a
high enough priority so that it has a chance to make it to 'testing' ASAP.

The bugs would then have to be closed by the next unstable upload, making it
easier to keep track of security patch reversions (actually, to avoid those
altogether). Sometimes this would result in wrong bugs being filled (because
the unstable branch of a given package is not vulnerable anymore, for
example), but that is much, much better than the hole being reopened by
mistake and forgotten open.

  Henrique Holschuh