Re: port-scanning. advise?

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 04:22:48AM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 08:25:00PM -0600, Jordan Bettis wrote:
> > [snippage]
> > > revisions of MacOS 9.  The moral of the story?  Be careful who you scan, they
> > > may care, and be careful what OS you use for critical services.
> >
> > I see that as a bug in the Operating System. It is /not/ the fault of the
> > guy who did the portscan. The only time I can think of a portscan being
> > wrong would be if one were scanning somebody with very little bandwith.
>
>  Here's a (possibly poor and misleading :) analogy for you:  is it wrong to
> put salt in people's gas tanks just because they didn't padlock them?  I
> think it is.  It would be great if the internet wasn't so cut-throat that
> you have to lock up everything or else people will smash it, but it is and
> won't change except by laws and rules.

 I forgot to make a conclusion here.  My point is that, in the spirit of
many religions, one should do unto others as you would have them do unto
you.  If you don't care if somebody pokes your FTP port every now and then,
and maybe checks what other ports are open, then don't feel bad about doing
some scanning if there's something you want to find out.  OTOH, if you're
insane and would consider suing someone who scanned you, delete all copies
of nmap you get your hands on :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y