Re: port-scanning. advise?

[snippage]
> revisions of MacOS 9.  The moral of the story?  Be careful who you scan, they
> may care, and be careful what OS you use for critical services.

I see that as a bug in the Operating System. It is /not/ the fault of the
guy who did the portscan. The only time I can think of a portscan being
wrong would be if one were scanning somebody with very little bandwith.

In that case, it is very easy to discern the fact that they have little
bandwith, if they are on a dialup, etc. So one should be responsible
for the resulting DoS.

But I should not be responsible if I scan someone who's system is so flaky
that it can't take the scan.

--
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb/>