Re: Postfix is spammer-friendly by default on potato and woody

Hi!

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000, Borut Mrak wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 02:24:36AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > so my question now is postfix a open relay by default or not?
>
> No.

It is.  For a (not so) small set of hosts. Assuming your box is 62.1.2.3 you
will be an open relay for the entire _class_A_ net 62.

If you do not set mynetworks postfix guesses it from the interfaces and allows
all hosts on the classful subnets of those interfaces to relay through you.

Two bugs have been files against postfix (one normal[0] and one wishlist[2]) and one
wishlist against postfix-tls wich was closed by the maintainer:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000, Craig Sanders wrote:
| 2. sorry, if you have special and unusual needs you're going to have
| to configure it yourself - you already know what you need to
| do, it's in your proposed "solution".  for most people, relaying for
| their own network(s) is the correct thing to do.

					yours,
					peter

 0. #72744: postfix: Bizarre relaying defaults
    http://bugs.debian.org/72744
 1. #74288: postfix: please add mynetworks=127.0.0.1/8 to main.cf
    http://bugs.debian.org/74288
 2. #74289: postfix: please add mynetworks=127.0.0.1/8 to main.cf
    http://bugs.debian.org/74289
--
PGP encrypted messages preferred.
http://www.palfrader.org/