Re: How can I help ?

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 09:23:54AM +0200, L. Besselink wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Thomas Guettler wrote:
> If you ask me personally what things in Linux and/or Debian are most
> needed ? Those are two things:
>
> - I/O performance. Linux just doesn't have as good an I/O performance as
> the BSD family.

	You might be interested in the discussion going on over streaming
I/O performance on linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu.

> and
> - Pro active security sourcecode reading/fixing, like what the OpenBSD
> people do.

	I wanted to start a project like that a while back.  I examined
the OpenBSD patches to try to figure out exactly what they looked for.
Unfortunately, between school and jobs, i haven't had the time to
really delve into the subject or apply their techniques to Linux.

> As you can see, only one is security related :/ I know it may sound a bit
> boring and I know Debian is probably the best Linux distribution in that
> field (well, they fix very fast anyway ;), but it is even more important
> then adding new things if you ask me.
>
> This is just my personal opinion.
>

> > One thing I am interested is, which ist AFAIK no
> > implemented yet:
> > Crossplattform userauthentication (win+unix),
> > via LDAP.

	One thing you might take a look at while you're at it is adding
LDAP support to Netatalk.  I know at least one SysAdmin who was
trying to get his whole network using LDAP, and Samba already has
support (according to a previous email I saw on this list), but he
needed a solution for his Macs as well.  I don't have his email
here (he contacted me at work).

Nathan Paul Simons
http://www.nmt.edu/~npsimons/