Re: How can I help ?

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Thomas Guettler wrote:

> I am in the same position. I have got some time left which
> I could spent in an opensource project. Nearly all
> things I dream of are already working.
> So that I don't know where to join.
> And Mozilla ist too big.
> And like Florian I am interested in security.
>
> If someone knows where to start, please give
> us a hint.
> I know some C, C++, Perl, Shell, Java, XML.

If you ask me personally what things in Linux and/or Debian are most
needed ? Those are two things:

- I/O performance. Linux just doesn't have as good an I/O performance as
the BSD family.
and
- Pro active security sourcecode reading/fixing, like what the OpenBSD
people do.

As you can see, only one is security related :/ I know it may sound a bit
boring and I know Debian is probably the best Linux distribution in that
field (well, they fix very fast anyway ;), but it is even more important
then adding new things if you ask me.

This is just my personal opinion.

> One thing I am interested is, which ist AFAIK no
> implemented yet:
> Crossplattform userauthentication (win+unix),
> via LDAP.

But ofcourse I have no problem with anyone adding new and great features.
;)

<snip>

Hope this made sence and not just noice,
	Lennie.

New things are always on the horizon.