Re: time for some OpenBSD-style auditing?

> If I were Debian dictator (and I'm not even a debian developer, though I am
> what you guys call an "upstream developer" -- I'm on the GCC steering
> committee), I'd add a requirement that every package owner certify that he
> has checked the package s/he maintains for a list of common security
> problems, and that all problems found have been fixed.

Sounds like a good idea.  I'm not a Debian developer either (I'm in the
NM queue), but I'd suggest that perhaps everyone who is accepted as a
new maintainer should be required to demonstrate a clear understanding
of common security holes as part of their "technical competency".

--

Peter Eckersley
(pde@cs.mu.oz.au)
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pde

for techno-leftie inspiration, take a look at
http://www.computerbank.org.au/