Re: Debian audititing tool?

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 11:05:32PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 05:54:55PM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
> >
> >  That's why you run the checker from a known-good floppy or CD.  The bogus
> > kernel can't protect itself if it isn't running :)
>
> don't be so sure, is the BIOS or firmware on your computer flashable?
> if so an attacker could replace the firmware/BIOS itself to ensure
> later trojans are installed.

Oh crap, I didn't think of that!  It would be a really hard attack if you
didn't know what kernel was going to get loaded, but in theory there's no
way around it, short of burning non-flashable ROMs!  (Well, you could take
the drive out of the computer and test it in another computer.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y